Possibility of BCSLUG's success stories in LFY
Archis Gore
2006-02-12 19:46:08 UTC
Dear BLUGies,

I dont think Amit is back yet so I'll just start
this off. I'm really sick so I wont be writing any
reports/articles on LA2K6 for a week minimum. This
week is entirely for me and nobody else. No community
during this week.

Back to the topic at hand, Amit and I had a talk
with Rahul Chopra on the recent enthusiasm on BCSLUG
and activities of members. For instance, we went from
a student-helpline to a production group where code is
now being uploaded. And pretty soon we wont only be
uploading our own projects but joining the
pre-existing projects and contributing to major
projects. For this we asked him for a level 2 of
GNUnify. Something beyond install fests and bootups.
Now we have awareness. We have created hunger. Let us
feed it. In the FOSS world, the more you eat the more
hungry you feel. For material food lovers like me,
this is a dream come true.

During this talk we talked of our college
visits, the CSLinux attempts, the solutions that are
being developed in-house, etc. So he has asked us all
to contribute our own experiences on BCSLUG, on how
members like me evolved over time. It's yet to be one
year since I joined and I'm no longer the restless
person I used to be. I've become a person who's learnt
to detach himself from the problem. We scientists tend
to get too involved in the problem, which fortunately,
is considered a good thing in science - the only way
problems can be solved.

So please do write in about your visits to
college, your visits to GNUnify, your organization at
GNUnify, how BCSLUG has helped (or failed to help) the
BCS/MCS community, whether what we consider help is
what the community considers help, and anything else
you might think of. Rahul Chopra asked Amit and me to
construct the story but it would be unfair within the
community. We thought we should do it Wiki-style. Dig
up all the previous articles, try merging them, try to
format them and create articles out of them and lets
make the final article together as an entire
community. Or the simplest method would be to start up
a page on Wikipedia on BLUG and edit it.

Do fire in your suggesstions. My doctor has
forbidden me from checking mails for a week so I wont
be involved too much.

And this can take a while - so give it a
while. Dont be too impatient to finish an article. Let
everyone in the community be happy with it. This would
allow us to cover everyone's vacations which would
allow everyone to give it their 110%.

I think the way we write the article on
ourselves would itself be a story worth writing about.
Let's make it so.

May the force be with us all...........

Yours faithfully,
Archis