Synopsis of the CMDA IT Expo
Archis Gore
2006-01-23 17:34:52 UTC
Dear BLUGies,

As Sudhanwa Sir had mentioned, PLUG had been
given a stall at the IT Expo held by the CMDA during
the days of 19th January to 22nd January.

Devendra Laulkar and Shirish Agarwal were the
star performers, being present at 10:00am daily and
waiting on quite late.

To sum it up:

Day 1:

I was sleeping so dont know what happened.

Day 2:

Slightly low turnout during the day and steadily
increasing towards nightfall. We got quite a few
queries and had some time to answer them too. Being
the first day, it was not so boring explaining things
repeatedly. Mandriva was on display for a demo.

We got some good CD bookings but not too many.
Things went well with some minor glitches in the WiFi
connectivity.

Senior citizen's training was fulfilling and
satisfying. Felt good. Mostly people in their 70+ were
there. Had some time to talk to them also. This was a
good fun happy day.

Day 3:

Things were picking pace. Although a Linux stall
doesn't exactly appear to be a "cool gadgety" stall
amongst wide-screen HDTVs and car-racing-driving-wheel
demos, we did quite decently. A lot of technical
people showed up and we attracted some major core
groups like student groups from various colleges.

One memorable incident was that a person from
Baramati travelled all the way to book CDs and asked
for the source code as well. Although we didn't have
source RPMs at the moment, we promised him we would
find a way to get them delievered. It struck me most
of all because he was sincere, hard-working and had
studied as much as he could without internet
connectivity and travelled all the way to come to the
PLUG stall. It somehow feels sad to go to my own
college and see juniors having oodles of free
bandwidth all being paid for by the college and me
having to block certain sites at the proxy. Not one of
them ever came enquiring for the sources of any
package.

BLUG seminars could do wonders at such
colleges. Perhaps the localite BLUGies should have a
discussion on how we can target promotional events
beyond Pune.

Back to the issue at hand, we trained quite a
few senior citizens and they were very cooperative,
taking every statement without question or doubt,
sweet, kind and nice. We showed them e-mail usage, and
stuff like online railway ticket booking.

CD bookings went up heavily on this day.

Day 4:

Devendra was the first to show up in the
morning alone. Dexter joined shortly and then Shirish.
I showed up with a hangover since I was coding for
bill all night. (hey, sometimes temptation comes over
me also :-))

Dexter handled a batch of senior citizens
almost one hour and then Shirish took over the rest of
the day single-handedly.

We were quite jumpy due to the high turnout on
this day. Mostly being a Sunday, some families with
small children showed up (and we were giving all
little children cute little penguin stickers of PLUG).
So we saw a nice jump in the educational Live CD
booking.

Mandrake ruled! Knoppix came in second. Fedora
came in third with some few people. Almost nobody
asked for Gentoo or Debian. I guess those who want to
use them anyway would know better avenues to get than
rather than at an IT Expo.

Gnunify will get a good turnout this year
since almost everyone is desperate to learn about the
FOSS world but has no idea of where to go. So please
register for GNUnify soon. Places will run out
quickly.

The good thing was that apart from some funny
conversations, almost everyone had heard of linux
(though not many knew it was an OS). This made us feel
a lot better. One thing that quickly became apparent
is that people want to know more. The thing is that
they trust "companies" or "corporations" too much. The
minute they hear words like "NGO", just a user's
group, no company - but a community, they get
discouraged. Many wanted to know about the "core
company" behind linux not groups like us.

I hope GNUnify changes all that for most of
the crowd. It felt good that collegians actually spent
some time at the stall and gave us a chance to put
forth our side. Moreover, some asked queries and since
we were easily able to demonstrate the solutions, they
went home quite happy.

Yogesh got a Live CD on Day 4 after seeing
too many people wanting a demo of a "Live CD". The
Live CD was an instant hit. The crowd was unbearable
for our team of 5 volunteers to handle at a time (Each
of us talking to at least 4 people at a time). People
feel secure about Live CDs (duh!).

That about ends the post. Will definately write if I
can think of anything else.

Some funny incidents:

1. A person came asking if we would sell him blank
CDs.

2. A person came asking for Unix-Linux. When asked, he
said that he hated Linux but wanted Unix. I told him
that there are many unices and there is no single
"Unix". He said he would work with any of them. When I
suggested use Linux, he wouldn't agree. But he had
heard of a Unix-Linux, apparently a Unix that was
built free like Linux but was a _Pure Unix_ and _not
Linux_.

3. A person came asking whether the Live CD's would
run on Linux and whether all the other CDs would run
on Linux. When explained that they were all Linux, he
clarified to me that I should have learnt Linux before
volunteering and went on to explain that "Linux comes
with 2 CDs and one source CD" and the others had to
"run on" Linux and that I should get a clear idea of
what "runs on" Linux like Fedora or Mandrake, instead
of "what is" Linux. We were unable to provide him with
the "core linux" CDs on which to run his already
available Fedora CDs.

Apart from a few minor glitches, things went great.
Enjoyed the experience.

Yours faithfully,
Archis

bcslug-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Shirish Agarwal
2006-01-24 13:54:20 UTC
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:34:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Synopsis of the CMDA IT Expo
Dear BLUGies,
As Sudhanwa Sir had mentioned, PLUG had been
given a stall at the IT Expo held by the CMDA during
the days of 19th January to 22nd January.
First of all a big Hi to you all.It's going to be a big
letter so kick your shoes up & relax.
Had relatives also at my place hence was unable to do anything
productive. So now as they have
gone finally have some peace & quiet & can focus on what happened
over the 3 days I was present.
I was thinking of writing a synopsis but Archis beat me to it!.
Devendra Laulkar and Shirish Agarwal were the
star performers, being present at 10:00am daily and
waiting on quite late.
I was sleeping so dont know what happened.
Same here only I was not sleeping had to attend couple of
marriages, it's marriage time for us Marwaris. In the same 4 days
there were 4 weddings which I had to attend. Skipped one & had to
attend the rest. Damn! The other thing is factually not true,
Amit Karpe was also there (even though he's working in a company &
came each evening with some fruits & was there on
2 evenings I clearly remember giving fliers to the people & talking
to young & old each.) Also bain came for some time as well
as Mr. Anand Kulkarni although he didn't stay long but any help is
appreciated. There were also some guys from SICSR who
gave us company but we were still very much under-staffed.
Slightly low turnout during the day and steadily
increasing towards nightfall. We got quite a few
queries and had some time to answer them too. Being
the first day, it was not so boring explaining things
repeatedly. Mandriva was on display for a demo.
We got some good CD bookings but not too many.
Things went well with some minor glitches in the WiFi
connectivity.
I had the same experience with the turnout increasing towards the
evening. The WiFi was a serious glitch & perhaps CMDA
could have given us the stall the evening before so we could set up
our equipment the evening before & set things up so we're
ready. It doesn't feel nice when one can't be productive due to some
foolish things. Hopefully the next year things would be
better planned. Co-incidentally had been following few threads on the
Ubuntu forums & ndiswrapper is a hot issue there.
Couldn't help thinking that its because of events like these &
projects like Ubuntu, Mandriva that whole lot of upstream
projects get interesting & the whole basket enriches.
[...]
One thing Archis forgot to mention was beautiful women/girls who
were selling stuff while we're more of the
nerdier/be-spectacled guys [exception Bain, Archis & the SICSR guys
points for not wearing specs :) ]

There were similar experiences where some people came up, especially
professionals who wanted to know
if there was an equivalent of CAD or parents who wanted to see a
demo of Edubuntu or Edumorphix or
any of the educational Live CD's we couldn't show. This actually was
because there were only 3 machines
we had one occupied for Senior Citizens, the rest 2 showing off
couple of GNU/Linux distros running different
window managers. Incidentally, was thinking that Ubuntu would have
also made a great impact only if we could
show it. What we need for next year are more people & machines.
BLUG seminars could do wonders at such
colleges. Perhaps the localite BLUGies should have a
discussion on how we can target promotional events
beyond Pune.
Back to the issue at hand, we trained quite a
few senior citizens and they were very cooperative,
taking every statement without question or doubt,
sweet, kind and nice. We showed them e-mail usage, and
stuff like online railway ticket booking.
CD bookings went up heavily on this day.
I don't know whether the seminar idea would work. If one had
seen there was lots of loud music being played by everybody
(except us) so we had to practically shout most of the time to make
ourselves heard as well as hear others. In such a situation a
seminar is beyond me. Instead of a crowd a decent 10-15 people who are
genuinely interested in some quiet space would be much better.
As far as the senior citizens are concerned, they're like
kids(like us). Mostly temperamental, patient as times impatient at
other times, easily led into fighting with each other either at the pace
(some could learn faster, some take time) or better chair
or anything. Felt like a Sim City prefecture or fireman putting out
little fires one after the other. I'm sure Archis as well as Devendra
has some beautiful tales to share which would keep us in splits.
Devendra was the first to show up in the
morning alone. Dexter joined shortly and then Shirish.
I showed up with a hangover since I was coding for
bill all night. (hey, sometimes temptation comes over
me also :-))
Dexter handled a batch of senior citizens
almost one hour and then Shirish took over the rest of
the day single-handedly.
We were quite jumpy due to the high turnout on
this day. Mostly being a Sunday, some families with
small children showed up (and we were giving all
little children cute little penguin stickers of PLUG).
So we saw a nice jump in the educational Live CD
booking.
Plus point for Edubuntu, EduMorphix, Knoppix Games people love them.
Perhaps we could have some kind of a movie
(ogg, avi or something) next year which shows some snapshots or
something. Something to chew on! Another thing could be
showing off the regional languages at display. Something that could be
a strong selling point & we need to be more educated
on that.
Mandrake ruled! Knoppix came in second. Fedora
came in third with some few people. Almost nobody
asked for Gentoo or Debian. I guess those who want to
use them anyway would know better avenues to get than
rather than at an IT Expo.
I think it was also what we were targeting at. I do remember
couple of people asking me for slackware, gentoo & debian
mostly systems admin or developers as not a developer would hand them
over to Devendra or bain as they're better at that.
Gnunify will get a good turnout this year
since almost everyone is desperate to learn about the
FOSS world but has no idea of where to go. So please
register for GNUnify soon. Places will run out
quickly.
The good thing was that apart from some funny
conversations, almost everyone had heard of linux
(though not many knew it was an OS). This made us feel
a lot better. One thing that quickly became apparent
is that people want to know more. The thing is that
they trust "companies" or "corporations" too much. The
minute they hear words like "NGO", just a user's
group, no company - but a community, they get
discouraged. Many wanted to know about the "core
company" behind linux not groups like us.
At least from whatever I saw except for couple of odd cases
people know that they've to pay for support. A point worth
making here is that we were distributing the whole distro. for less
than $4 while also telling whoever asked where to download
the whole distro. if they so desire. Companies also charge for
support & I'm sure most of the PLUG members would be
more than happy to give support & earn some pocket money or otherwise
depending on their relationships.
I hope GNUnify changes all that for most of
the crowd. It felt good that collegians actually spent
some time at the stall and gave us a chance to put
forth our side. Moreover, some asked queries and since
we were easily able to demonstrate the solutions, they
went home quite happy.
Yogesh got a Live CD on Day 4 after seeing
too many people wanting a demo of a "Live CD". The
Live CD was an instant hit. The crowd was unbearable
for our team of 5 volunteers to handle at a time (Each
of us talking to at least 4 people at a time). People
feel secure about Live CDs (duh!).
Would have felt better if we had one more machine where we could
cycle some of the Live CD's. Something like
Knoppix Games 1 hr., Edumorphix 1 hr., Knoppix 1 hr., Vigyan CD 1/2
hr. or something like that. Some kind of scheduling
so bunch of people who want to try a distro. could 've been better
targeted.
[...]
There were many funny/heart-breaking incidents which happened.
Some of the highlights :-

1. A Bengali babu (most probably Bengali from his accent) came &
enquired about the distro. After patiently hearing/ interacting
with us for almost 1/2 an hr. asks us the price when told at the
end it was not for selling it we're just taking the writing & media
charges & the whole OS+applications comes for Rs. 100/- he had an
expression of shock & disbelief & suspicious & simply
walked away. If I had told him something like Rs. 1000/- or
something I'm sure he would have bought it there & then. This
isn't meant to say that all Bengali's are like that it was just
used to kind of imagine the whole affair.

2. There were quite a few incidents where I had to explain the whole
concept/or show the OS while speaking Marathi &
whoever had the peril of hearing Marathi from me would know that
I'm not the best speaker in Marathi. So there were
quite a few incidents where they had to :-
a. Understand what I was saying & if they got something out of
that, then :-
b. Understand the concept
especially when there is loud music all around
you so one can understand what kind of chaotic scene it was.
Reminds me of incidents of a butler series (Novels) I used to
read in school & college don't remember the name though
quite funny.

Things to do:-

1. One of the things which we didn't concentrate upon is the cool PLUG
T-shirt which we have finally got. I'm sure everybody
is familiar with Puneri topi Penguin. That reminds me, the PLUG
T-shirts are limited so please book them right now before
they run out!
2. We do have some time this time around so let's distribute the help
before. I guess Devendra & Sudhanwa Sir are spearheading
the cause in GNUnify also so it would be better if they spell out
what they expect from us well before the actual event. As it is,
there are hardly 10 days left for the event to begin.
3. Think of if we can sponsor some people to attend LinuxAsia 2k6 &
have the PLUG stall there. I know of Archis being funded
by his college to attend LinuxAsia. I don't know whether we would
benefit from attending it but if we do are there people
who're game to attend & put up the stall there. I'm open to the
idea of going & attending that & letting people know the
activities PLUG is involved in but also know for a fact that there
are other people who have been with PLUG for long time!
If something does take place in that regard by anybody then would
love to hear from them.
Signing off

--
Shirish Agarwal
Life is a dream Enjoy it!

Yahoo! Groups Links

Archis Gore
2006-01-24 18:54:57 UTC
I have to agree about the loud music with Shirish. It
was a real issue. Not having girls was a major
drawback, one that we noticed only too often. :-)

Well, even I'm not yet funded due to some minor
college glitches. So I'm in the same territory. I
believe Amit is interested in attending as well. So
we're all in need of funding. Anyways, with LinuxAsia
so close to GNUnify, I doubt whether we would have
enough energy to attend that also, considering that I
would have college in full swing by then.

--Archis

</snip>