LINUXASIA2k6 it's happening.....DAY 1
Rohan Dighe
2006-02-08 18:11:05 UTC
Hey People,

Hope you remember me, not too much time off the mailing list. Well
LinuxAsia2k6 is the place to be guys n gals.
Seriously, i believe you are wasting your time sitting at home when i say this.
Anyways,
Those who were willing to come but due to some reason failed to do
so, here is a glimpse of the so called DAY1 linux2k6.

As usual i got up late so missed the lamp lighting ceremony, which i
guess was just glowing a lamp....nothing else really. Then there was
an Opening Keynote by Mr. Deepak Phatak (KReSIT,IIT BOMBAY)
man.....what a talk our mind was like continously grasping and
grasping and like really overflowing with the talk. Super
inspirational talk. I haven't heard a talk like that in almost years
now i guess.Well, he was basically talking abt the in general open
source model and then his EKLAVYA model and what is happening in the
country and stuff like that.
Basically, it was like a brain storming session.

Then came like the Oracle people someone named Seema Ambastha (Senior
manage, ORACLE) she was like telling the crowd abt how oracle has
shifted like total stuff to linux and they have now 60% integration on
the same and like even @ oracle they use LINUX and then they have
standardised a linux model for oracle and they themseleves in the
company actually used LINUX machines and stuff like that.
She was like talking all abt migration and stuff and i was like.....ok
stuff is cool but i gotta keep myself out of oracle for a while and
focus on what i was here for so finally the talk ended making a way
for MARK MANNERS (HP guy) i liked his talk too.....don't remember in
depth but everyone uptil now was talking and like super promoting
stuff and by saying our company does this and our company has product
for that.

You know one thing i noticed through the whole thing was these guys
were using Micro$oft's xp m/c's and i was really freaked out seeing
this. It's like you are selling something you don't wanna use !!
pathetic really in my vision.
But i guess in business you don't really have to you know think, they
were just oracle and hp people it's tolerable !

Then came Mr. Javed Tapia (who used a KDE finally) (REDHAT INDIAN
SUBCONTINENT,PRESIDENT) good speach really told us the whole story of
how 6 people came to Nariman Point and they had all this idea in mind
and then slowly they had plans for integration and it finally worked
out pretty nicely. Redhat's plans and stuff like that. Very good
speach i must say !
This all stuff took place in a large auditorium.

The Next sections were like tracks say the
INDUSTRY SESSIONS
DESKTOP FORUM
TECNOLOGY FORUM
ORACLE LINUX DEVELOPER CAMP

i choose the TECHNOLOGY CAMP !!!.....simply coz the speakers were
really whom i wanted to listen to.
Anyone who might have the schedule with him would be quite easily
getting what tracks i am talking about coz it's really really
difficult to jot down everyting.....anyways,....lets get on track.

First, Google's Summer of Code (Zaheda Bhorat) ultimate lecture
really opened our minds abt the various type of ways which we can
contribute to open source and also how event was organized by google
and then total analysis. This thought will open your minds no one was
there from MAHARASHTRA forget PUNE.
They showed like real stastics how many people were mentors and how
they shared info and how 400 people 40 projects really took place
where, how, when & stuff.......
Really a missed opportunity to hear Zaheda....she's an excellent
speaker must say !
We have to have a discussion with Zaheda tommorow so let see....i have
many things to ask !

She set stage for one of the person's whom i came to Delhi he is none
other than.
Dr.Bebo White (STANFORD UNIV)
he gave a talk on Web 2.0 and really you shld see this guy speaking i
mean so much enthusiasm and really explaining every bit of what's
happening this BLOG, WIKI, stuff really awesome knowledge
there........pretty impressive !
i will write in depth abt bebo coz like i have the whole speech
recorded right in my brain....hmmm !! it's all there people !

Then was one of my favourite Klaus Knopper (knoppix)
guess what the topic was (The Future of LInux Desktop)
This guy is like a total super coder, super speaker and really a nice
man to speak with !
I had a chat with him for almost 1 1/2 hr or so and was really gr8,
i was asking him abt all sort's of questions related to stuff like his
lab ! and whom he works with ? What all does he do to make a distro ?
How he started ? Whom he looks upto ? and stuff
I will maybe write abt him l8r coz i have to really plan the schedule
for tomorow !

Then was like Interoperability of desktop by prakash advani (NOVELL)
his' message was really short and sweet and was talking abt wine and
stuff and why interoperability and needed and stuff like that.
then after that there was a hot discussion on:-
OPEN STANDARDS AND OPEN SOURCE: TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN !
all * people were there Danese Cooper (INTEL) Mary Ann Fisher (IBM)
really a topic everything is thinking about and the talk went really
nice...was fun !

Then there was something which i was waiting for but did not take
place, it was called all about google maps by sanjay jain
i was really interested what i could do with the google maps aPI and
stuff like that ...but anyways nxt time i guess

Next up was another hot discussion again Danese Cooper & Knopper &
Pradeep Tagare (intel) on patent and copyright....a few people
fav....mine too !!!
Pretty nice talk though hard to remember.....

Then on was the best part MEET THE GURUS

there was a lobby sort of thing and then you know all the people were
there all the gurus and then you could just walk upto them and say
like hey i am this and that , and this is what i do...so we had a chat
with almost everyone in the lobby.
2-3 hour discussion with serveral people actually !
Wanted to talk to Mark Shuttleworth but did not get time,let's see
maybe tomorow or something like that !

But Mark is like an awesome speaker again ! he had a talk on UBUNTU
which i missed unfortunately due to lunch crossover lets see if get
time,i really have a lot of questions to ask. He has done such a huge
investment in opensource i heard something like 20M$ or stuff. He is
himself a venture capitalist !
letss see what happenes i will have to wait n watch !

ayways,
it's time to take leave
i will catch up with day2 as soon as i get time to...
thanx for reading...again..
Rohan (LDOM)

Yahoo! Groups Links

bcslug-***@yahoogroups.com