File system
Neelima
2006-01-27 06:38:48 UTC
Hello Friends,

I am doing one project named Policy based Distibuted file system.
This is to be develpoed under Unix environment in C/C++ language.
I m poposing to implement following file retention policies for version controlling.

1. Keep One : Provides semantic identical to standard file system retaining only current version of file. Deleting keep one file removes the file immediately. Writting keep one file , updates file in place, copy onwrite is not used.

2. Keep All : It retains every version of file.Version is created after every session when file is modified.

3. Keep Landmark

4. Keep Safe

For developing File system, one way out I found good is using FUSE (File System in Userspace). I have studied it, but looking forword to get more guidence on the same. If any one of you have expirience in using FUSE, please put some light on this topic.

- Neelima

Yahoo! Groups Links

bcslug-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Navtej Singh

Amit Karpe
2006-01-29 20:42:59 UTC
Post by Neelima
[...]
http://www.eldos.com/solfs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUSE_%28linux%29

http://freshmeat.net/projects/plasticfs/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/dtfs/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/konspire/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/fsfs/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/stegfs/

http://www.ipd.uka.de/~florin/Publications/dfs.doc
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~lakhnech/CRYPTO/05-06-PAPIERS-POUR-ETUDIANTS/Politique-et-analyse-de-flot/lupu99conflicts.pdf

After reading / understanding your project requirement I search here and there
I found above links if you want something more specific then please let us
know more details .
I really didn't userstand where you need our help .

Regards
Post by Neelima
- Neelima
Yahoo! Groups Links
--
Amit.
param vaibhavam netum etat swaraashtram

           || Bharat Maata Ki Jay ||

sudhanwa Jogalekar
2006-01-30 18:54:52 UTC
Probably, you should check out file system on VMS operating system on
VAX machine. For ages, It supports all such versioning of files. Find
some good VMS person or documentation and start working on it.

-Sudhanwa
Post by Neelima
[...]
[snip]

Neelima
2006-02-01 05:14:09 UTC
Hello ,
Thanks Amit for digging out this information. I have already gone thru' most of these sites. My project is in design stage. I havent used FUSE previously. So I wanted some expert comments on the same. Now I have learned to use it. I am writting a paper which would describe this system in depth. I will post that document soon. I would appriciate your valuable suggestions on the same.

Thanks,
Neelima
Post by Neelima
[...]

Post by Neelima