Native-compiled Eclipse in FC4 reviews?
Archis Gore
2006-01-29 20:27:03 UTC
Hello BCSLUGies,

Has anyone tried out the native-compiled Eclipse
in FC4. It's supposed to be a lot faster although I
doubt whether non-native-compiled plugins will work
with it. Can someone post a review of synopsis if
anyone has used it? Redhat's method of providing ALL
plugins is a bit overdone I think. Plus it's
definately going to prevent upgrades.

During my last visit at SP, they were planning
to move all their Java needs to GCJ. That's why I'm so
keen. Also, if anyone has any idea of how far the
SWING/AWT support in GCJ has developed in FC4, that
could also help a lot.

And the most important question of all, how
hungry is FC4 on resources. Does anyone have an idea
of recommended configuration for getting decent speed.
Something that was pointed out to me during the CMDA
was the insistence of Redhat on i386 RPMS.

That reminds me. One thing that became apparent
in the CMDA was the need for a local software
repository. We need to have a CD-library of sorts.
PLUG provides almost all Linux distros. But we need to
complement that with some more stuff. Like a devel CD
with perhaps eclipse, doxygen, clisp, squeak, etc. A
CD with the latest free CAD package - a requirement
all too apparent at the expo. Cause dialup users like
me have a hell of a time downloading the heavy stuff.

Yours sincerely,
Archis

bcslug-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Archis Gore

Amit Karpe
2006-01-30 08:02:06 UTC
Post by Archis Gore
[...]
Yes ,
We should come us with such software CDs .
Please any one suggest few more name of Softwars / tools which you expect on
CD .
Me myself , Shrenik and Yogesh ahd given lots of Thought on this Dev. CD
before a month . We will bring it in reality very soon .
But we want your FEED BACK .

Thanks
Post by Archis Gore
A CD with the latest free CAD package - a requirement
all too apparent at the expo. Cause dialup users like
me have a hell of a time downloading the heavy stuff.
Yours sincerely,
Archis
Amit.
param vaibhavam netum etat swaraashtram