Possibility of running a demo using Knoppix at LinuxAsia
Archis Gore
2006-02-06 17:03:59 UTC
Dear BLUGies,

I thought I might run this by you just in case.

Since taking 4 desktops with us is not feasible
and ideally not wanting to display a distributed
computing project on one computer, we got some
friends/relations to lend us their laptops. The catch
is, they've got preinstalled windows which they dont
want us to mess up. It would be bad taste to display a
FOSS project running on windows.

So we're planning to boot into Knoppix and use
the hard disk as the primary data storage medium while
using the Linux off of knoppix. Please let me know in
anticipation any problems we might face. My flight
leaves pune at 4:00pm tomorrow (7th) and any warnings
before that would be appreciated.

I shall of course keep posting daily updates on
my homepage or blogs. I'll also try to post daily
pictures of the whole affair. We're still in dialog
with some Intel people here to see if they'll provide
us their desktops at the venue itself. Let's see what
happens.

Yours faithfully,
Archis

bcslug-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
sudhanwa Jogalekar
2006-02-06 19:06:05 UTC
Well,

You should take all your files on a CD and/or pen drive. Dont depend
on the laptops. Make some alternative arangement ready.

/me giving "Fukatacha Salla" ;-)

-Sudhanwa

Archis Gore
2006-02-06 21:56:29 UTC
Yes, I am in fact taking 3 pen drives, 4 CDs of
backup. I'm actually taking along 4 knoppix CDs, just
found something called Pollix which I'm downloading
now (something quite interesting for TY's and their
Java-crazy syllabus).

I just managed to find a full-fledged java-based sql
server so I'll just install JDK for linux on one of
the Fat32 drives and use it to drive all my stuff.
Since Knoppix doesn't have postgresql and I've never
used MySQL intensively, I didn't want to go through a
crash course tonight. :-)

I'm in contact with a person from Intel out here who's
calling me tomorrow to let me know if Intel Delhi can
organize some of their desktops at the site itself. So
that option is still open. In the worst case scenario,
I'll display it on win98 and explain how licensing
differs between software-to-software even on the same
system. :-) I'll try to put a positive spin on the
situation.

Will let you know what happens. They're allowing us
access to the stall from 10:00pm tonight. So i'm
sending my team to sleep while I'll make sure
everything's working. So I probably wont be displaying
the morning of the first day (and miss out on the
opening talks? No Way!). Evening I'll probably be
exhausted so no hope either. There are Fedora and FSF
India stalls around me somewhere. I'll try to
piggyback on their internet connections to download
stuff in case of emergencies. :-)

I'm also in contact with someone from the Delhi univ
who may provide a couple of desktops locally if all
else fails.

Sincerely,
Archis